Version 6.0.0 Release Notes¶
These release notes summarize the major changes for each officially released version of DREAM.3D. The official bug report is located at the DREAM.3D GitHub issues page.
This is a major version update with breaking changes that will invalidate any previous .dream3d file and pipeline. Breaking changes are:
- The core DREAM.3D data structure has been rewritten. This is a major change that breaks compatibility with previous DREAM.3D version files. Files generated with a version of DREAM.3D before v6.x are INCOMPATIBLE with v6.x and any subsequent versions!
- Several Filters have been renamed or removed. Consult the table below for a detailed list. The removal or renaming of Filters may break compatibility with Pipelines generated in previous versions of DREAM.3D. Users are encouraged to update their Pipelines to utilize the current Filter suite of v6.x!
- Pipeline files are now stored as JSON files instead of INI files
- .dream3d files now have an updated internal structure that is not compatible with any previous version of DREAM.3D
- Bookmarks (formerly Favorites) now store direct links to the json file on the file system. This means the user can store the bookmarked json file where ever they want.
- The User Interface has been completely updated and mostly rewritten using Qt version 5.
- Added new filter searching field which allows the user to easily find filters by name
- Prebuilt Pipelines have all been updated with bug fixes
- Internal data structures have been updated to allow DREAM.3D to scale better to larger datasets.
- DREAM.3D now contains over 200 filters to process data
Filters that have changed names in Version 6¶
|Version 4 Name||Version 6 Name|
|AlignSectionsPhaseCorrelation||Removed from distribution2|
|AvizoRectilinearCoordinateWriter||Removed from distribution0|
|AvizoUniformCoordinateWriter||Removed from distribution0|
|BridgeParentIdsStatisticsToGrainIds||Removed from distribution2|
|CAxisSegmentGrains||Segment Features (C-Axis Misalignment)|
|ChangeGrainIds||Removed from distribution3|
|ClearData||Clear Data (Mask)|
|ConvertEulerAngles||Convert Angles to Degrees or Radians|
|ConvertOrientation||Convert Orientation Representation|
|CopyFieldArrayToCellArray||Create Element Array From Feature Array|
|CopyFieldArrayToFaceArray||Create Element Array From Feature Array|
|CreateFieldArrayFromCellArray||Create Feature Array From Cell Array|
|CropSurfaceMesh||Removed from distribution4|
|DecimateSurfaceMesh||Removed from distribution2|
|EBSDSegmentGrains||Segment Features (Misorientation)|
|FFTElasticReader||Removed from distribution2|
|FieldDataCSVWriter||Write Feature Data as CSV File|
|FieldInfoReader||Read Feature Info File|
|FindBoundingBoxGrains||Extract Flagged Features (Rogues Gallery)|
|FindCellQuats||Convert Orientation Representation|
|FindFaceAverage||Removed from distribution4|
|FindFieldAverage||Removed from distribution4|
|FindFieldNeighborCAxisMisalignments||Find Local Average C-Axis Misalignments|
|FindGrainCentroids||Find Feature Centroids|
|FindGrainPhases||Find Feature Phases|
|FindGrainReferenceCAxisMisorientations||Find Feature Reference C-Axis Misalignments|
|FindGrainReferenceMisorientations||Find Feature Reference Misorientations|
|FindKernelAvgMisorientationsIgnoreGrains||Find Kernel Average Misorientations|
|FindNumFields||Find Number of Features|
|FindSurfaceCells||Find Boundary Cells (Image)|
|FindSurfaceGrains||Find Surface Features|
|FindSurfaceMeshNodeType||Removed from distribution1|
|FindSurfaceVoxelFractions||Find Feature Boundary Element Fractions|
|GenerateFaceMisorientationColors||Generate Misorientation Colors (Face)|
|GenerateSurfaceMeshConnectivity||Generate Geometry Connectivity|
|GrainFaceCurvatureFilter||Feature Face Connectivity|
|GroupMicroTextureRegions||Removed from distribution2|
|H5VoxelFileReader||Removed from distribution 3|
|Hex2SqrConverter||Convert Hexagonal Grid Data to Square Grid Data (TSL - .ang)|
|LinkFieldMapToCellArray||Link Feature Attribute Matrix to Element Attribute Array|
|M3CSliceBySlice||Removed from distribution 2|
|MergeArrays||Removed from distribution 4|
|MergeChannels||Gray to RGB (Merge Channels)|
|MoveGrain||Removed from distribution 4|
|MovingFiniteElementSmoothing||Removed from distribution 2|
|NodesTrianglesToStl||Removed from distribution1|
|NodesTrianglesToVtk||Removed from distribution1|
|OpenCloseBadData||Erode/Dilate Bad Data|
|OpenCloseCoordinationNumber||Removed from distribution4|
|ReadOrientationData||Read EDAX EBSD Data or Read Oxford Instr. EBSD Data|
|RemoveJitter||Removed from distribution4|
|RenameCellArray||Rename Attribute Array|
|RenameFaceArray||Rename Attribute Array|
|RenameFieldArray||Rename Attribute Array|
|RenameSurfaceMeshFieldArray||Rename Attribute Array|
|RotateSliceEulerRefFrame||Rotate Euler Reference Frame|
|SampleVolume||Removed from distribution4|
|ScalarSegmentGrains||Segment Features (Scalar)|
|SegmentBoundaries||Removed from distribution4|
|SharedGrainFaceFilter||Generate Triangle Face Ids|
|SolidMeshToVtk||Removed from distribution 3|
|SurfaceMeshToNodesTrianglesEdges||Removed from distribution 3|
|SurfaceMeshToNonconformalVtk||Removed from distribution 3|
|SurfaceMeshToStl||Write STL Files from Triangle Geometry|
|SurfaceMeshToVtk||Write Vtk PolyData from Triangle Geometry|
|TranslateSurfaceMesh||Change Origin of Volume|
|UnifyTriangleWinding||Removed from distribution 4|
|UpdateCellQuats||Removed from distribution 3|
|VerifyTriangleWinding||Removed from distribution 3|
|VtkGrainIdReader||Removed from distribution 3|
|VtkRectilinearGridWriter||Removed from distribution 4|
|YSChoiAbaqusReader||Removed from distribution 3|
 Test files are not available to verify proper output is being created
 Introduction of dedicated Geometry classes allow us to remove this Filter  Original developer is not updating this Filter any longer  This Filter is considered legacy and no longer supported  This Filter is removed for technical reasons
- Several improvements to the user interface have been made. Consult the updated user manual for details. Most importantly, DREAM.3D now utilizes a document model for its interface, which will allow users to have multiple instances of DREAM.3D open at once, all operating independently.
- The core code for orientation transformations has been redone based on the work of M. De Graef et al.
- Many major and minor bug issues addressed.
- The DDDAnalysisToolbox, ImageProcessing, HEDMAnalysis, and TransformationPhase curated Plugins are temporarily moved to the Unsupported group until they are updated to the current DREAM.3D standards for code and documentation. These Plugins will be moved out of Unsupported as they are updated.
- The "rolled" preset dialog does not currently verify if the user has entered values such that A > B > C, which may result in incorrect statistics. The user should be aware of this and make sure to enter values such that A > B > C. A check of this condition will be added in a future release.
- The Match Crystallography Filter may intermittenly crash.